Earlier today, June 2, news about a lone gunman who stormed Resorts World Manila in Pasay City made the rounds in social media.
Here are some important information that you need to know about the said attack:
1. Some areas in the hotel were set on fire and gunfire was heard
On Friday, June 2 at about 1a.m., photos and videos of people screaming and running out of the hotel was uploaded on Facebook. People who posted these said that the casino hall including the gaming tables were set on fire and there was gunfire.
According to Philippine National Police (PNP), the masked gunman was armed with an M4 rifle, fired at the stock room of chips, and carted away some P113 million worth of it.
2. It is not a terrorism attack but a case of robbery
The authorities already ruled out terrorism as the motive behind the shooting rampage. PNPChief Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa said it is possible that the suspect needed money and could have lost a lot in the casino.
“This is not an act of terror. There was no element of violence or threat,” he added.
3. The suspect was later found dead
The PNP Chief confirmed that the gunman set himself on fire inside room No. 510 of the hotel on the 5th floor.
“Sinunog nya ang sarili nya doon sa room 510 ng hotel. Nagbuhos siya ng gasolina sa kumot, sinunog ang sarili niya,”Dela Rosa said.
4. 36 civilians are dead and at least 54 were hurt
Although the suspect did not shoot any individual, there are at least 36 people who supposedly died of suffocation and smoke inhalation. The 54 injured were hurt from their attempts at escaping the building by jumping from the second to the first floor.
Here are the list of casualties:
- 5 things we need to know about the situation in Marawi City
- Nickelodeon’s proposed theme park in Palawan to push through
- 19 dead after an explosion at Ariana Grande’s concert in England
- Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman dies at 52
- Netizens’ reactions about Mocha Uson’s appointment as PCOO assistant secretary