Calling all the artsy kids on the block! A new creative scene is thriving within the Walled City of Intramuros.
What better way to know what’s up than to head over to the cobble-stoned streets of “Intra” yourselves? But if you’re feeling a little iffy because of the intense heat in the Metro this week, here’s a glimpse of what you missed and what’s bound to color the historic fortress this week.
On Saturday (April 16, 2016), the multi-faceted celebration of the arts and design, dubbed as “Design Week Philippines,” was officially opened to the public in hopes of fostering creativity and innovations that boost the Philippines’ potential to be a leading design hub in Asia.
Presented by the Department of Trade and Industry, through the Center for International Trade Expositions an Missions (CITEM), Design Week Philippines runs with the theme “Connection”, aimed at bringing together artists and design enthusiasts all over the country.
The program features 13 events in eight venues, with some already underway.
For those wondering what’s going to happen next, here’s the list of events this week:
Weekend Market by Viva Manila at Gen. Luna Street from 9 am to 6 pm on April 16 and 17.
Sketch Walks with Workshops by Urban Sketchers; Teatrillo and Casa Blanca, Plaza San Luis Complex, from 3 pm to 6 pm on April 16 and 17.
Schools of Living Traditions by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts; NCAA Building Lobby, Gen. Luna Street, from 9 pm to 6 pm on April 16-20.
Street Art by Ang Gerilya on April 16-20, 9 am to 6 pm, at Gen. Luna Street.
Letters for the Philippines by Type Kita and Fujifilm at Teatrillo, Plaza San Luis Complex, Gen. Luna Street from April 16-20, 9 am to 6 pm.
Workshops and Demonstrations by Alessa Lanot of Life After Breakfast PH, in collaboration with Abbey Sy and Tippy Go:
- Pointed Pen Calligraphy Workshop by Stabilo and ZIG Kuretake PH on April 17, 1 pm to 5 pm at the Casa Manila Patio, Gen. Luna Street.
- String Art Workshop by DMC Philippines on April 17, 3 pm to 5 pm at Casa Blanca, Plaza San Luis Complex.
- Palapas Workshop by Craft MNL on April 18, 2 pm to 5 pm at Casa Blanca, Plaza San Luis Complex.
- Botanical water color on April 19, from 2 pm to 6 pm at Teatrillo, Plaza San Luis Complex.
- Handmade Pattern Design on April 19, 8 am at the Plaza San Luis Complex.
Public art installations:
- Sixinch at Plaza Roma, General Luna Street from April 16-20 at 9 am to 6 pm.
- SWAP Watch at Teatrillo, Plaza San Luis Complex from 9 am to 6 pm.
- Screening of Past Sinag Maynila Films by Solar Entertainment at the NCCA Auditorium on April 19, from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Design Trails by Bambike Ecotours at Casa Manila from April 17-20.
Still feel like the heat’s going to stop you? We’re thinking the happenings over the ancient walls are way hotter than this weather. Better drop by when you can and see you there!