The sad truth is, nobody knows — for sure — what causes cancer. While genetics and lifestyle get the most blame, they don’t always explain the occurrence of dreaded Big C. And it’s no longer just your grandparent’s concern: more and more people our age are getting hit by it, and at an aggressive stage, too!
Thankfully, there are many ways you reduce the rise of getting cancer. First and foremost? Food. Below are five things you can add to your diet to up your game against the b*tch that is cancer.
1. Cruciferous vegetables. Crucifer — what?! Think: broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kangkong, arugula, horseradish and the like. These vegetables contain antioxidants that prevent the formation of tumor and protect normal cells from the damage caused by free radicals.
2. Tomatoes! Well, tomatoes and its red and yellow kin. They have high levels of carotenoids, like lycopene, that help combat breast cancer cells. But think puttanesca more than a salad, as high heat is needed to releases these phytochemicals. Also, it works best when it’s consumed with fatty food, so yay!
3. Turmeric. The “super spice” is gaining so much attention thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric contains the Curcumin compound, which blocks the activation of cancer-causing agents. How best to take your turmeric? As an iced tea.
4. Green Tea. Apart from having high levels of antioxidants, green tea also combats cancer by interfering with cyclins, or proteins that promote the growth of breast cancer cells.
5. Red wine. Before the collective “Yaaaas,” it must be said that like most kinds of alcohol, red wine must be consumed moderately. Now that we’re done with the fine print: Red wine contains the antioxidants resveratrol and procyandins, which are the antagonists of estrogen. Women need to keep their estrogen in check because high levels of it increases the ricks of breast cancer.
[H/T Manila Bulletin]