On Nov 3, the fashionable set heaved a sigh of relief and let their wallets bleed some cashola as the much-awaited Kenzo x H&M Collaboration finally had its global launch, Metro Manila included.
Remember, they’d been waiting six long months, since May to be specific, when the Swedish retail giant announced it was going to collaborate with the French luxury label.
Before you head off to score these limited edition babies, here are a few quick notes to know about the collab:
1. It’s about experimentation and immediacy. According to Humberto Leon, one of Kenzo’s two creative directors, the collection is about experimentation. “It’s about mixing it up and playing with your look,” he tells Manila Bulletin. “We wanted every piece to be immediate and be full of fun and playfulness.”
2. Editing was the hardest part. “The only limitation was in editing the collections and choosing the pieces we wanted to be part of Kenzo x H&M,” says Carol Lim, the other Kenzo creative director.
3. H&M wanted to collaborate with Kenzo because it’s a fun brand. According Ann-Sofie Johanssen, H&M’s head of design, Lim and Leon “have brought such amazing energy and attitude to one of the most famous Parisian brands” and as such Kenzo today exudes the fun of fashion. This is what H&M aims to bring to their tribe with the collab.
4. Happiness is the end point. H&M and Kenzo first met to talk about the nature of the collection, after which H&M gave full creative control to Kenzo in creating the collection they want. They then produced the first samples after seeing the finished sketches from Kenzo. And then as series of fittings until everyone is happy.
5. This is H&M at its most ambitious. “We love to think big at H&M and be more ambitious than we’ve ever been before,” begins Ann-Sofie. “Together with Kenzo, we believe that fashion is part of a wider global conversation, one that brings together creative who are making a stand.”
The limited edition collection is available in two H&M locations: SM Mega Fashion Hall in Mandaluyong and SM Makati.