Like most respected “mainstream media” outlets, Esquire has long taken the position of maximum tolerance on social media, ignoring and overlooking dumb comments.
But, well, if you can’t beat them, join them.
Over the weekend, Esquire Philippines announced Vice President Leni Robredo is its cover girl for the December issue.
As expected, trolls came in droves and dropped a ton load of negativity. We don’t know how they did it, but strangely, they were able to turn an otherwise classy cover of a class act of a woman into a trash bin of non sequitur logic and ad hominem attacks.
But just when you thought Esquire was going to ignore them yet again, the storied lad magazine surprised everyone, displaying its fabulous capacity for irreverence and mockery, replying on dumb commentary with hilarious comebacks, irreverent wit, and seemingly harmless statements packed with vitriol.
Below are just a few pieces of gold we found in the rubble, thanks to netizen Michelle Lao who pointed us in the direction:
1. In which Esquire points out the obvious to show its concern:
2. In which Esquire shows the bait to encourage them to read:
3. In which Esquire does public service by editing the troll’s grammar:
4. In which Esquire found a way to quote the supreme lord almighty:
5. In which Esquire responds with much panache:
6. In which Esquire displays such polite disdain:
7. In which Esquire turns serious but helpful:
8. In which Esquire returns the favor in terms they understand the most: