Travel more, exercise, be a better person, strive to be happy—it’s the same kahuna every time New Year rolls by.
But somehow, we forget the hard and tedious part about being healthy: seeing the doctor, getting checked, finding an OB GYN, or visiting the dentist.
Because we’re infinitely more mature—thanks for all the hard lessons, 2016—allow us to write down a health to-do list for 2017. Don’t worry you have all year to get it down.
1. Mammogram and Breast Ultrasound. Breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death among women worldwide, and the Philippines? We have the highest incidence in Southeast Asia. Thankfully, you can control and cure breast cancer when detected early. These tests—mammogram for 40 and above, breast ultrasound for 40 below—should be able to help in that respect, dolling out the news way before women experiences symptoms.
2. Transvaginal Ultrasound. This will give your doctor a bird’s eye view of your reproductive system with accurate results. It is highly recommended, especially when you experience irregularities, pelvic pain, unexplained vaginal bleeding, just to name a few.
3. Routine Urinalsis. It is the simplest but most powerful screening test that can detect urinary tract infection, liver problems, and diabetes so get one done, ASAP.
4. Blood Chemistry Test. By age 20, you should be start monitoring your biannual blood pressure and checking cholesterol every four to six years. Start monitoring your blood pressure and cholesterol so you can prevent heart diseases and stroke.
5. Pap Smear and Pelvic Exam. This is the gold standard that detects precancerous to cancerous cells so it’s best to get tested, especially when you’re sexually active at 21.
Illustration: Madel Crudo
[H/T Manila Bulletin]
MORE READS TO HELP YOU GET BETTER!