How many times have you been told you’re a lazy-ass mofo just because you like your sleep and you like to sleep? Well, below are a few suggested comebacks from when you get told off again. Don’t worry, they’re from a doctor; totes legit.
1. “We all need to rest!” According to Dr. Eduardo Gonzales, “sleep gives our muscular, skeletal, and other organ systems their needed rest to allow them to recover from the work that they do when we’re awake.”
2. “Did you know that lack of sleep can make you fat?” At stages 3 and 4 of sleep, our growth hormone level in the blood increases. When sleep is insufficient, it leads to the decrease of growth hormone secretion, which increases our chance for weight gain. Gulp!
3. “Sleep makes us remember things better!” REM sleep helps consolidate spatial memories, which have something to do with information about your environment and your orientation in relation to space, as well as procedural memories (anything to do with procedures!) and declarative memory—everything to do with facts and experiences.
4. “It puts you in a good mood.” Who was the genius who said, anything can be solved with a good night’s rest? Because truer words have never been said spoken. “Lack of sleep results in negative mood and behavior, decreased productivity, and safety issues at home, on the job, and on the road,” writes Dr. Gonzales.
5. “You don’t want to risk having diabetes, do you?” Why? Because insufficient sleep impairs the body’s ability to use insulin, which can then lead to the onset of diabetes. So not good.
6. “Sleep is like a preventive cure.” Habitual sleep deprivation leads to many chronic health problems, among them are obesity and high blood pressure, hypertension, and cardiovascular problems—nobody wants to deal with that.
That said, go use summer for a well-deserved shut-eye. People aged 18-64 years old should get about seven to nine hours of sleep. Good night!
[h/t Manila Bulletin]
- 7 things you can do to prevent looking older than your age
- 9 things you can do to make you feel like your forever 21
- Lea Salonga has beautiful words to say about weirdness
- Drink your OJ: 4 beauty benefits of Vitamin C
- Third Eye Wellness is where you go to when you’re feeling stuck in a rut and have had it with life