You don’t think you know Willy Cruz, but trust us: You do. He is one of the country’s greatest songwriters of all time, writing some of the best songs for the likes of Sharon Cuneta, Nora Aunor, and Hajji Alejandro. He’s also written award-winning scores for movies.
We bring this up because we learned on Easter Monday morning that the great songwriter, composer, and pianist has passed away at the age of 70.
His friends announced the sad news on social media. “Our dear friend Willi Cruz is now in eternal peace. Please say a prayer for him,” advertising executive Nonoy Gallardo posted on Facebook.
It’s no way to greet our return to work and so, we’re definitely streaming his greatest hits all day. To thank him for all his contributions to OPM, we think you should, too. Below, our playlist:
1. Bituing Walang Ningning
2. Sana’y Wala Nang Wakas
3. May Minamahal
4. Araw-Araw Gabi-Gabi
5. Kumusta Ka
- 6 local artists that are Spotify-approved
- What went down: Ang Bandang Shirley’s Favorite album launch
- A 23-year-old Filipino tells us why he practices penitensya
- An Assumptionista has turned the ‘Assumption Handwriting’ into a font
- Dear Izzy: What’s the difference between trying your best and trying too hard?